With a half dozen games under their belts, the Montreal Canadiens are in the middle of the NHL pack, despite several injuries. Host Norm Szcyrek was joined by Sean Cayouette, Paul MacLeod, and Jonathan Rebelo to talk about our beloved Habs, several other hockey topics, and share a lot of laughs. This podcast was recorded on the evening of October 25, 2023.
First Period [00:00 – 38:03]
– Introductions, Habs Trivia
– Canadiens early stand-out players and disappointing players
– Discussing injured Habs Kirby Dach, Kaiden Guhle, and David Savard. Also injuries to prospects David Reinbacher, Emil Heineman, and Lane Hutson
– Prospect Joshua Roy is on fire in the AHL, leading the league in scoring. Could he get a call-up midway through this season?
– Joel Armia was called up but has not got into the lineup yet. When might he play and what role could he best fit?
– Christian Dvorak has begun practicing with the team and should be back in early November. How will his return affect the forward lineup?
Second Period [38:04 – 47:59]
– Montreal leading the league in penalties. Is that something the coaching should address, or embrace?
– Cayden Primeau finally got a start against New Jersey. Will he get another start for Montreal, be claimed on the waiver wire, or get sent down to Laval?
– What direction does coach Martin St. Louis focus on, developing players or getting this team to the playoffs?
Third Period [58:00 – 1:05:40]
Around the Hockey World topics:
– Alex Ovechkin struggling early this season; could he still have a chance at breaking Gretzky’s goal-scoring record, and if it happens will he still be wearing a Capitals jersey?
– The majority of NHL teams voted to change the draft format; another vote is coming up at the next GM meeting, so should the NHL adopt a more NFL style of a decentralized draft?
– Ryan Reaves’ quotes are plentiful this season, but does he get too much exposure by the Toronto media?
– Corey Perry responded to Reaves the right way
– The last Boston-Montreal trade discussed
– The NHL played a full set of 16 games for only the 2nd time; ESPN took full advantage of it in the U.S., but not so much in Canada. Could a streaming option become available next season?
You can download/listen to the podcast via the PodOmatic widget below, via our PodOmatic webpage, or listen to it via your favourite podcast app/feeder (Apple Podcasts/iTunes, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music/Audible, Player FM, Deezer, or Spotify). *UPDATE* The Google Podcasts feed is not acting properly at this time. Google will be reformatting its podcast section at the start of 2024, so I am hopeful our feeds to them will be fixed by then. We encourage any feedback [bad and good] to help us improve the podcast and we ask listeners to please take a moment to leave a rating via your podcast source. Contact us via email at [email protected], or within the HabsWorld forum.
The direct link to download the episode can be found here: here: