- Follow HabsWorld
- Must Read
- Did you know?
- For the second straight year, David Desharnais has had two separate goalless streaks of at least ten games.
Every season begins with a certain few players upon which the spotlight burns brighter and, undoubtedly, Scott Gomez falls into that category. After a disastrous campaign last year, the Alaskan native will look to redeem himself after posting career-worst statistics.
Scott Gomez had what can only be qualified as a horrible season in 2010-2011, failing to reach the 10 goal or 40 assist plateaus for the first time since entering the NHL. In addition, the centreís campaign was equally dismal defensively, posting career-worst -15 and winning a pedestrian 48% of his draws. Clearly, Jacques Martin was not impressed with the effort either and Gomez saw his ice time, both at even strength and on the penalty kill, drop from last season.
Season Stats: 80 GP, 7 goals, 31 assists, -15, 48 PIM, 3 PPG, 14 PPA, 2 GWG, 157 shots, 18:33 TOI
5 Year Averages
The Canadiens did not acquire an imposing pivot to fill a top-6 role and it is unlikely either David Desharnais or Lars Eller will be slotted in such a position. As such, it is largely expected that Gomez will once again centre a line featuring captain Brian Gionta. Max Pacioretty, who showed good chemistry with the duo, seems slotted to reprise his role, but it would not be surprising to see fellow American Erik Cole join the two former Devils.
It remains to be seen if Scott Gomezís year end contrition will lead to a significant bounce-back year. If it does, we can easily see Gomez reach the 60-70 point range. Regardless, it is not unreasonable to expect him to at least come near the 55 point mark which has surpassed in all but two NHL seasons.
Have Your Say
Louis Moustakas is an editor at HabsWorld.net and works for the Coaching Association of Canada in Ottawa. He can be reached at [email protected]
- Fantasy Focus: Mike Cammalleri posted by B. La Rose
- Fantasy Focus: Tomas Plekanec posted by Matt Dilworth
- Fantasy Focus: Andrei Kostitsyn posted by B. La Rose
- Fantasy Focus: Brian Gionta posted by Michael R.
- Fantasy Focus: Erik Cole posted by Norman Szcyrek
- Fantasy Focus: Max Pacioretty posted by B. La Rose
- Fantasy Focus: P.K. Subban posted by Matt Dilworth