The last time Theodore played in the Bell Centre before last night, the opposing team scored 8 goals. The night was January 31st of 2006 when Jose started his last game as a member of the Montreal Canadiens, allowing 5 goals on 10 shots in a little over 25 minutes of play to the visiting Hurricanes. A little less than 10 months later Theodore put up a similar performance allowing the Canadiens to score 5 times on 10 shots in just under 15 minutes.
Seven Montreal Canadiens had multiple point nights but Sheldon Souray was the leader on the scored board potting 2 goals and adding a pair of assists. Andrei Markov and Saku Koivu each had three assists while Alex Kovalev, Michael Ryder, Sergei Samsonov, and Mike Johnson all scored a goal and picked up an assists.
Colorado had no offensive issues as they scored five times and had four players with multiple points. Patrice Brisebois and Marek Svatos each had pair of assists, Andrew Brunette scored his first two goals of the season and Avalanche captain Joe Sakic picked up a goal and an assists moving him just three points shy of 1,500 on his illustrious career.
Paul Stastny scored his first NHL goal in his first game wearing his dad Peter Stastny’s old number 26 which was given to him by teammate John-Michael Liles. Stastny previously wore the number inverted as 62.
Jose Theodore and Patrice Brisebois returned to Montreal for the first time to play their old mates and were given a rousing cheer when their names were announced in the starting line-up but that was all the friendliness they were shown for the rest of the evening. Brisebois was booed each time he touched the puck and Theodore was taunted as the fans chanted “THEO” repeatedly in a mocking fashion.
Game Notes: Guy Carbonneau made a few changes to the Canadiens line-up as Mike Johnson and Radek Bonk replaced Tomas Plekanec and Sergei Samsonov on the second power play unit a move that produced Sheldon Souray’s second goal of the game. Two changes were also made during the game for the defensive pairs. Sheldon Souray and Janne Niinimaa switched partners with Mark Streit joining Souray and Rivet matching up with Janne Ninnimaa.
- Sheldon Souray- 2 goals 2 assists, although he was a -1 the offensive production more than makes up for it.
- Saku Koivu- 3 assists, his second three point outing of the season.
- Chris Higgins- scored the game winning goal and once again was the Canadiens hardest working forward as he frustrated Avalanche defenders all night long with his speed and strength.
- Saku Koivu had five 3 point games last season
- Andrei Markov was on the ice for all but one of the Montreal Canadiens goals last night.
- After finishing 21st in the NHL in face-off percentage last season the Montreal Canadiens are now the best in the league in that particular category.